I Like That

I Like That
See, hear, taste, touch and inhale the wonders of the world.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Oh, Happy Day!


I LIKE THAT my son invites me, once and while, to be with him and his son on their special days together. For now, every two weeks, my grandson visits his Dad and they do regular things together. For example, if my son’s car needs fixing, together they lean over the engine and explore the possibilities. If groceries need to be purchased they do that task in cooperation also. My son cherishes his time with his son and instead of having their short visits seem like a circus event with extravagant gifts and elaborate entertainment, my son keeps their time together memorable and simple.

Simplicity is what makes me happy too. When my son calls and asks if I would like to join them on a walk it is a happy day for me. Walking to the swing set and watching my son push his 6-year-old boy into the sky brings a sensation of heightened spirit to my heart. We three walk and talk about everything from the value of a penny to how an electrical transformer works. My grandson is clever and inquisitive and his father is patient and accommodating.

I’ve learnt over the years to accept one day at a time. Today, I sat with my grandson playing a card game, while my son prepared his backpack with pajamas, folded socks, T-shirts, toothbrush and toothpaste, his favourite toy and much loved blanket. I waved goodbye to them both as they drove away and toward their rendezvous point to meet up with my grandson’s mother. I’d had a very happy day.

Happiness Is Family

No comments:

Post a Comment