I Like That

I Like That
See, hear, taste, touch and inhale the wonders of the world.

Sunday, April 22, 2012

One Honk and a Wave


“Are you picking up garbage?” the young boy said. He and his father walked toward me sipping on drinks in large paper cups.

I lifted my trash picker and pink bucket into the air, smiled and said, “Yes, it’s Earth Day.”

They walked past me while I carried on retrieving trash from the sidewalk and boulevard. I hum a happy tune as I grip the plastic handle of the garbage tongs and kick the bucket on the flat surface of the walkway. I like the way it makes me feel to be of service to my neighbours along the 350-metre trek I’ve adopted in the City of Campbell River. I asked a few friends if they would consider adopting a block, and twelve volunteers have now taken stewardship of areas throughout the city.

My singing was interrupted with a car honk and I raised my head just in time to see a wave. I shook my bucket as a response. It’s kind of people to recognize the need to tidy up – especially on Earth Day.

Happy Earth Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment