I Like That

I Like That
See, hear, taste, touch and inhale the wonders of the world.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

THE TWO ESL TEACHERS

 I LIKE THAT I had the great privilege of teaching English as a second language in China from 2005 to 2009 with my husband Frank. We lived and taught in five provinces and travelled to many more in the Motherland. We returned home to Canada with great admiration for the people and their kind treatment of us.

While in China, I read Aesop’s Fables and took the liberty of translating the stories into ESL Teacher Tales. Here’s one example:

THE TWO ESL TEACHERS
 Two Foreign Experts who where teaching English as a second language in China, one with a degree in linguistics, the other without, were swept down a river of lesson planning locked in a company-dictated team-work environment. The linguistics teacher told his companion to stay by his side, and he would advise him and protect him.
            “Thank you for your offer,” said the recent ESL graduate, “but that’s just what frightens me. If you’ll just keep your distance from me, I’ll be able to plan on my own and float through my semester unburdened with your experience and in safety. But if we come in contact with one another, I’m bound to be the one who’ll suffer.”

Avoid ESL teachers who are too powerful. When the collision happens the weaker one will be destroyed.
Students entertain with song
Frank and his Chinese teaching colleagues
Susan interviews entertainers

No comments:

Post a Comment